Anyway, we just got back from one of the most interesting and crazy vacations we've ever had I think. Think National Lampoons vacation...We had some highs - some wonderful times - and we had some lows - some real lows. I have lots of them to share but I have to start with the worst news we got while in Denver.
I haven't blogged much about our 2 1/2 year old little brown hoover we call Ranger. Truth be told he and I are not best of friends. I love the crazy little/giant dog but with 3 small children he's one more thing. But he's grown on me. Literally he went from a tiny little pound puppy to a giant 80# energetic, excitable, lovable, goofy dog.
How can you not love this face?

See?! Here he is with his little brown pound puppy.
So while we were gone he was staying at our friend's house - The Blegers. These people love our dog like he was theirs. When they dog-sit for us I always ask if they're sure. He's a handful. But a lovable handful :) They always reply yes absolutely! It's nice to know he's very well taken care of while we're gone. We got a call Wednesday night from them telling us that Ranger had been attacked by 2 pit bulls and was at the animal shelter getting worked on. From what we've been told about the whole situation, Ranger was in their fenced in yard minding his own business. The pit bulls broke down a weaker part of the fence and attacked him. Two neighbors heard the attack and came to try and rescue him. They beat off the pit bulls and called animal control.
Animal control came and took Ranger in and they treated him. I talked to the vet that night and he said Ranger was doing alright. He was torn up on his front and hind legs but didn't appear to have any internal injuries and his face was just scratched. We were relieved.
Thursday morning we talked to the vet and he said again that everything seemed to be good. He expected that Ranger could go home with the Blegers that night.
Then Thursday afternoon the vet called back and told me that Ranger had been doing better, was up walking around even, and then collapsed and had a seizure. They weren't able to save him. We were shocked to say the least. We had been thinking he was going to be fine.
The animal control officer in charge of our case called me and talked to me about pressing charges against the owners of the pit bulls. We will have to go to court sometime in the future.
This has all been so weird. As much as I would joke about Ranger, he made me feel safer. He was a great protector, a great food cleaner-upper, a very sweet and lovable dog. When we got home tonight from our trip it was strange to not be greeted by him. Tiffany wrote a very sweet blog about this today. If you have a minute you need to head over there and read it. Made me cry.
I really am going to miss him.

Jill- I've been thinking about and praying for comfort for you and your family. We have a puppy that's just a little bit younger than Ranger was and I don't know what I would do. I hope you guys can move through this time and heal.
ReplyDeleteJessica Keene
I'm so sad for all of you!
ReplyDeleteJill-
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I can't imagine...
I miss him so much. I know you probably think I am crazy for loving a dog that wasnt even mine like I did. But he really was an amazing dog. Know that we are grieving with you.
ReplyDeleteJill,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I wish I even knew what to say. I am so thankful that no kids were there when this happened. Pit bulls are scary dogs. I hope Ranger gets the justice he deserves:)
I love you girlfriend. I am so sorry about your sweet sweet puppy. When I lost my dog suddenly people told me to look at pictures of her. Talk about memories of her... and know that the life you gave Ranger was the best life he could ever have had. The love he received from you and the kiddos and Mr. Mark his trainer. I know God is snuggling Ranger right now... He's laying his sweet head on Jesus' shoulder. Waiting for you in heaven. Love you, Jen
ReplyDeleteJill and family,
ReplyDeleteWe, as fellow dog lovers, and Ranger lovers, just wanted to say how sorry we are that this happened. Loosing a pet is never easy, and definately not in this case. Wish we could bring him back!
The Dombrowskis
Stopping by from Tiffany's. I am so very sorry for your loss. I was heartbroken to read her post and I am praying that God is able to create something good from this. I am thankful for the 2-1/2 years you spent with this loving boy.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless
I blogged over from Tiffany's to say how sorry I am about your loss. How awful. I have lost a pet before but never by these means so I can't imagine. Memories are good. Take care
ReplyDelete