I am also on Instagram if you'd like to see more pictures. My username is jmpalmer.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Aaaahhh Kids...

Last night as we're getting the kids ready for bed we prayed. We usually pray for lots of things and random things. We tell the kids that we're just talking to God/Jesus and it's okay to talk to him like your best friend. For a long time Kale refused to pray. He didn't want to. Mark tried to encourage him to but it wasn't going to happen. Then Kale started critiquing our praying - it's too long, too short, you didn't pray for....etc. So we tried again to encourage him to pray. A couple weeks ago he started to pray, as long as Mark prayed after him. Well Kale sounds just like Mark when he prays. He says all the "filler" words that Mark uses. I will have to record a prayer session with the two of them just to remember.

Anyway, last night Kale prays and this is what we heard:
"Jesus, thank you for today. Thank you for your blessings. We just, God we just thank you that I was good today, that I didn't whine and I obeyed {which, according to the wonderful Sunday school teacher wasn't quite accurate - hence the praying I'm sure}. God, protect Kate and me and Jack. And I pray that we can go to Burger King and get a monster truck and that they'll still have them. {Who says advertising doesn't work?} Um. Amen. Dad's it's your turn. {As Mark and I have smirks on our faces. He had begged us to go to BK after church today and it didn't happen.}

Then of course Kate has to have her shot:
"Jesus, bank you for my moommmy....and my dad...and my bruder (spelling the way she talks)...and my Jaaaaack {sing-song voice}.....for my dad big guy....and my bruder little guy...and my moooooom big gewl (girl)...aaaannnnnndddd {amen Kate, say amen} aaaannnnndddd... Amen.

I love hearing them pray. No matter what they say {most of the time} it blesses my heart.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! They are learning how to talk to our awesome God through prayer. And I think the Lord absolutely delights in their honest little hearts. Dear Lord, I pray we can go to Burger King... I'm learning from them. Dear Lord, please send one of your angels to come and clean and pick up my house. Amen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Kale's defense - he was GREAT 2nd service. And I'm not making it up! I love hearing them pray - it reminds me to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he thought he was asking forgiveness for 1st service. It is awesome that they pray. I can just picture God with a big smile as he listens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure God was calling you to Burger King to get a Monster Truck! Maybe his parents weren't being obediant:)

    ReplyDelete

God is the God of our yesterdays. He allows us the memory of them so we can turn the past into the ministry for the future.

"I don't think you can explain how Christian faith works. It is a mystery. And I love this about Christian spirituality. It cannot be explained, and yet it is beautiful and true. It is something you feel, and it comes from the soul."