Not everyone who reads my blog also follows my good friend Linn's blog so I'm gonna fill people in and ask for prayer.
This morning around 7:15 I got a phone call from my friend Jo. I was confused as to why she was calling me so early but I figured there must be a good reason. She asked me if Dwight (our pastor) was back from his pastor's retreat in Pagosa Springs. I said no (again wondering why she was calling and asking me this so early). Then she told me that their house was on fire. Apparently her dad had heard it on the police scanner.
So I jumped up and woke Mark up and told him to get over to the Saunders and help however he could. He woke up quickly {which is miraculous in itself} and went to help.
The story is that their boiler, in the laundry room, caught on fire. Or actually caught the floor on fire. It had been smoldering for a while but wasn't making enough smoke or anything to warn anyone. It went from smoke to flames very quickly. Linn was up and was able to call 911 and get all 6 kids out of the house. The fire quickly spread under the house in the crawl space and completely destroyed the kids' bedroom and the hallway. No one was hurt - thank you Jesus - but it's not likely that much of their stuff can be saved. There is heavy, heavy smoke and water damage in the house. I took a quick tour of it and I was in shock. Everything is black, stuff was melted, floors were trashed and ripped out, windows broken and there's a pile of insulation and furniture in their front yard. It's devastating and overwhelming.
Our sweet friends are in shock. They will have to rent somewhere until things can be fixed. Right now they are staying at some friends' house who are out of town. So grateful for a place for them to rest. They have nothing - no clothes, no furniture - not sure about pictures and things like that. Not sure what can be restored. We are praying that many memories can be saved. They are in the process of adopting their 10th child and her adoption paperwork is in their house somewhere. They are praying that it wasn't destroyed.
I can't imagine the heartache. I'm so thankful for all the people being safe absolutely, but it's still difficult to see all the things you've been collecting for 30 years gone in an instant. Yes people are so much more important - the Saunders know this - but it's still hard to understand having to completely start over. You love your things that help make your house your home.
Please pray for them during this difficult time. They've had a day unlike anything I've ever experienced before. They will most likely have updates on their blog - A Place Called Simplicity - I have a link on the side of my blog, if you would like more info as it becomes available. I've been amazed at the outpouring of love and compassion from our church, our community and her blog community. God will absolutely take care of the Saunders through all of His people doing their part. It's been amazing to see and be a part of.
Mark will be preaching this Sunday and God has already given him a Word to share. In the midst of this, God is at work. Never ceasing. What a comfort.
I am also on Instagram if you'd like to see more pictures. My username is jmpalmer.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
God is the God of our yesterdays. He allows us the memory of them so we can turn the past into the ministry for the future.
"I don't think you can explain how Christian faith works. It is a mystery. And I love this about Christian spirituality. It cannot be explained, and yet it is beautiful and true. It is something you feel, and it comes from the soul."
this has been so heavy on my mind :( in some ways i'm kind of excited to see what God will do through this, but my goodness. to have all their belongings, both sentimental and necessities, gone. my heart breaks :(.
ReplyDelete