I am also on Instagram if you'd like to see more pictures. My username is jmpalmer.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Calling all princesses!


Mark and I were talking the other night about Kate's obsession with princesses. It's crazy but cute I suppose. She loves everything princess and got a ton of princess stuff for Christmas. Dress up clothes, a trunk with princess dresses and accessories, jewelry box, make up, camera, princess books and a coat rack to hang up her clothes. Santa gave her six different princess books. She loves to read these before bed and the other night I read her Cinderella. She was enthralled in the whole story. I was telling Mark about this and then told him how when she was in the bathtub {by herself - no sharing with Kale this time} she was playing with two of her My Little Ponies and she was making them talk back and forth about how they loved each other and were getting married and she wouldn't kill them because she loved them [and obviously mixes up a little of Kale's imaginary play].

Anyway I started thinking about what little girls learn from princess stories and wondered if there were any real princess stories out there?

For example:
Has anyone dressed up like someone else to go to a party, danced with a man for 3 hours, and married him the very next day because you owned the right shoe?

Has anyone lived in the woods with 3 other women, never actually seeing a man, met and sang with one in the forest {whom you apparently dreamed of}, fell asleep and was woken by being kissed by this same guy, who killed a dragon to get to you and married
him the same day?

Has anyone ever fallen in love with a giant Sasquatch thing surrounded by dancing tea cups?


Has anyone fallen in love with someone who was faking who they were,
rides a carpet to work, and talks to a man who lives in a lamp?

Has anyone changed who they were by giving up their fish fins to live with their prince, never speak to him, but have him fall in love with you because he heard you sing one time?

Has anyone lived with 7 little men, been poisoned by a bad apple from a strange woman after one of the little men told you not to talk to strangers (dumb girl), then woken up by a strange man whom you've never met, who carries you away to marry you?

If there is anyone out there who is a real live princess I would love to hear your story. My worry is that my beautiful daughter will meet and marry her prince in like 3 short hours and never speak to him - only sing. Oh boy...

7 comments:

  1. Met the quietest man on campus and loved the way he would listen to my ridiculously long stories and stupid jokes. Decided I'd rather be married than pursue an opera career. Married on the hottest day of 1991 and moved to Colorado to live happily ever after!

    I'm still talking and still singing! And he still listens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You told me you had decided to marry a man you hadn't met yet...and did...hmmm...and are living happily ever after. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason I consider myself a princess is simply because there are just some things I have realized over the yaers I do not want to do. Like fight the dragon, change my own oil or do construction projects in my home. And I KNOW there is one thing my prince does not want me to do and that would be SING to him or wilderness animals. ;) My prince and I took a long time to get married... but he did save me from my previous boyfriend who was a BEAST! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had to pop in and say that this is totally hilarious. i have never thought of those stories like that!! hehe.

    ok, my mom is not a princess, but my parents met while my mom was doing ywam. My dad was a member of one of the churches they stopped at. she and my dad wrote some letters back and forth afterward, and he went to visit her once and proposed! they are still together 33 years later. :)

    i'm sure with Mark as her "model", kate will do just fine in finding her prince!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fell in love with the first man who did really treat me like a princess! Those stories remind us of how Daddy sees us, and how the true man that He prepared for us should love us. And believe me, I have enough princess stuff in my house to choke a whole heard of dwarfs! And it's good - even when you're sick of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not have a prince (YET) however I can tell you that my dad taught me what a prince should act like! How he should treat me and that he should love the Lord! He did not only tell me how he should act but he should me! He would take me on our own special dates and show me how a gentle man should treat a lady! I can still remember him pushing me to the inside of the side walk because that is where guys are suppose to stand. He than treated my mom like she was a princess or more a queen! I think that Mark is an amazing dad and he will show kate what a true princess looks like! Maybe that is why it is taking me so long to find my prince! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my fairy tale life I am married to a prince living happily ever after. I think we met one day while galloping through the enchanted forest in pursuit of a unicorn. It was wonderful and all happened in 2 hours. Then I wake up.... But I will have to agree with Daddy-O, You did call and tell me you met them and you were going to marry. I asked you how long you had been going out and you said "we haven't gone out yet". I told you to call when you went out:) You called a month later and said, "Yeah I am sure". Guess you have yours:)

    ReplyDelete

God is the God of our yesterdays. He allows us the memory of them so we can turn the past into the ministry for the future.

"I don't think you can explain how Christian faith works. It is a mystery. And I love this about Christian spirituality. It cannot be explained, and yet it is beautiful and true. It is something you feel, and it comes from the soul."